- negotiating your contract and soon relocating to Finland to work at a Finnish university or
- already working in a Finnish university
and unsure what academic employment contracts in Finland are like?
This course is for you!
Do you want to know
- what academic employment relationships in Finland are like;
- about salary levels in Finnish universities;
- about academic working hours;
- what to do if you fall ill; and
- what happens in terms of work when you are having a baby?
This course is for you!
In this course, we go through all of this and more. After taking this course you
- know what the basic rules are both for you and for your employee in a variety of different situations (working hours, illness, family leave, etc.),
- know where to find more information if you need it,
- feel more secure in your employment relationship because you know what you can expect from your employer and what what your employer is entitled to expect from you.
The course is almost 2 hours long. Below you can find the course curriculum. In addition to the video lectures, the course includes handouts and links to further resources.
Take a look at the course: here's the first video for free!
- Introduction to Section 1: Employment Contract (1:42)
- Contents of the employment contract: overview (3:28)
- Employment Contract: fixed-term or permanent contract? (4:08)
- Employment Contract: trial period (2:18)
- Employment Contract: the location of the job, job description, and the applicable collective agreement (2:49)
- Employment Contract: salary, the working hours, and the annual leave (2:26)
- Employment Contract: terms of notice and other terms (3:41)
- Recap of Section 1: the employment contract (2:10)
- Introduction to Section 3: Family leave (1:39)
- Full-time Family Leave (this video pertains to those whose due date falls before Sept 4, 2022, or whose adopted child arrives home before July 31, 2022) (6:15)
- Full-time Family Leave (this video pertains to those whose due date falls after Sept 4, 2022, or whose adopted child arrives home after July 31, 2022 (6:15)
- Partial Childcare Leave (3:16)
- Absence for Temporary Family Reasons (3:11)
- Recap of Section 3: Family Leave (1:55)
Minna and Heidi, the two co-founders of Finnwards, have made it their mission to help you build a fulfilling and joyous life here in Finland. To accomplish this, they have built a series of courses that guide you through different aspects of Finnish life. With their research skills you can rest assured that each tidbit of information is well-sourced. The voice you hear and the face you see is that of Minna although the courses themselves could have created by either one of them or by both of them jointly.
Frequently Asked Questions
When does the course start and finish?
The course starts now and never ends! It is a completely self-paced online course - you decide when you start and when you finish.
How long do I have access to the course?
After enrolling, you have access to this course for a year - across any and all devices you own.
What if I am unhappy with the course?
We would never want you to be unhappy! If you are unsatisfied with your purchase, contact us in the first 30 days and we will give you a full refund.