Do you want to
- enjoy Finnish nature to the fullest;
- improve your and your children's basic knowledge about the northern nature; and
- harvest the bounty Finnish nature offers.
Also, do you want to
- be able to see;
- and understand the seasonal changes around you.
This course is for you!
In this course, we go through the seasonal changes that occur in Finland. We look at animal and plant life separately. In addition, we give you tips about how you can enjoy these seasons in different ways. We pay particular attention to foods Finnish nature can offer to your dinner table.
After taking this course
- your children's biology teacher will be impressed by their knowledge of Finnish plants and animals;
- you will be familiar with seasonal and local ingredients and how they are used in Finnish cooking. You will also have plenty of recipes to try yourself;
- your mindset will be changed and you will notice things in your surrounding you never paid attention to before.
This course is about 1.5 hours long. Below you can find the course curriculum. In the addition to the video lectures, the course includes handouts, two recipe books, and links to further resources.
The manuscript for this course has been written by Heidi Kinnunen. She holds a PhD in biology and has 10 years of experience in marking biology tests for Finnish upper secondary national matriculation examinations. In addition, she co-hosts one of the most popular call-in radio shows in Finland, Luontoilta. The show answers callers questions about nature. Heidi answers callers’ questions relating to Finnish mammals.
Minna and Heidi, the two co-founders of Finnwards, have made it their mission to help you build a fulfilling and joyous life here in Finland. To accomplish this, they have built a series of courses that guide you through different aspects of Finnish life. With their research skills you can rest assured that each tidbit of information is well-sourced. The voice you hear and the face you see is that of Minna although the courses themselves could have created by either one of them or by both of them jointly.